What is Intense Pulsed Light?
IPL or Intense Pulsed Light Therapy is a cosmetic skin treatment. It can be used to reduce the signs of ageing, remove unwanted hair from your body, reduce the appearance of scars, lightening darker patches of skin, acne, and improve the appearance of spider veins.
The treatment uses specific wavelengths of light to provide a range of aesthetic and therapeutic treatments. IPL treatment is different to laser based therapies that only produce a single wavelength of light and can therefore only treat a specific condition. IPL reaches the second layer of your skin (dermis) without harming the top layer (epidermis) which means the treatment causes less damage to your skin.
Using a handheld device, your therapist is able to target multiple wavelengths of light onto your skin. The light heats up the cells in your skin and breaks them down which prompts your body to remove the damaged tissue naturally.
What Does Intense Pulsed Light Treat?
The SkinBase IPL can be used to treat a wide range of conditions successfully. There has been fantastic results on hair reduction to acne.
Intense Pulsed Light for Unwanted Hair Reduction
One of the most popular and well known treatments for IPL is the reduction of unwanted hair. Just think of the time you spend on waxing and shaving let alone the costs of the products. The SkinBase IPL has proven itself time and again for permanent hair reduction.
Intense Pulsed Light for Acne
SkinBase IPL for acne treats the affected area in a number of ways :
- Destroys the bacteria on the skin preventing new spots occurring.
- Prevents over-production of sebum and dramatically reduces inflammation.
- Stimulates collagen production reducing the appearance of scarring and improving skin texture.
Intense Pulsed Light for Photorejuvenation
- Treats sun damage including age spots and pigmentation.
- Reduces redness and uneven pigmentation.
- Effectively reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin looks smoother and more even in appearance.
How Does Intense Pulsed Light Work?
A safe, controlled salon treatment that results in great looking skin
Unlike laser based therapies that can only treat a specific condition, The SkinBase™ IPL uses cut off filters to provide a range of wavelengths . These cut off filters selectively filter out the unwanted wavelengths of light . The remaining light is then used to treat a specific structure.
When used for hair reduction the light is absorbed by the melanin in the hair and is converted into heat. This damages the follicle making it unable to support further hair growth. The number of treatments required will vary but you should expect to see significant results within 3-6 treatments. A full course of 6 to 10 treatments may be required to achieve long lasting results. Treatments should be no more than every 3-4 weeks on each area being treated.
In the case of photo rejuvenation the light energy targets the red blood cells in the blood vessels. The light passes through the skin and is absorbed by the vessel wall or pigment. This heat energy causes damage to the vessel or pigment and the body’s natural repair mechanisms take over and remove the damaged tissue. The results are fresher looking & smoother skin.
0% Finance Available! Treatments from only £30.00
Frequently asked questions
When it’s used as a hair removal treatment, IPL uses light to heat your hair follicles in the desired area and prevents the hair from regrowing. Gentle pulses of light are absorbed by the hair root to destroy the follicle. The hair then falls out and you will experience hair reduction in that area.
Shaving can be time consuming and does not last long. On the other hand, with six sessions of IPL 70% of hair growth can be prevented permanently and up to 95% hair reduction.
Our therapists are trained to provide the safest possible treatment by completing an in depth consultation and patch tests prior to treatment.
All treatments have potential side effects. By insisting on the highest standards of training and experience our IPL therapists ensure your treatments go without a hitch.
The SkinBase IPL device uses a unique cooling cryo-handset. The cryo-handset creates an anaesthetic effect on the skin surface to provide the most comfortable treatment experience.
One of the main contra-indications to treatment is an “active” sun tan on the area to be treated. Therefore sun exposure to the treatment area should be avoided one month pre and post treatment.
IPL photofacial is a light based therapy that works by targeting structures within the skin such as melanin, blood, and water in collagen with wavelengths of light to break down the structure and improve the appearance of your skin.
The light pulses also stimulate collagen production which floods to the area, plumping the skin and reducing wrinkles and resulting in a more youthful appearance. The treatment is also effective for sun damaged skin too.
As the treatments are both non-surgical and non-invasive you can see substantial results with no downtime. You can return to work straight away.
Treats a variety of skin conditions
IPL treatments can resolve a range of different skin concerns including sun damage, age spots, unwanted freckles, pigmentation, stretch marks, broken capillaries and thread veins. The treatment works to clear up your complexion to get rid of any issues you feel are affecting your confidence. All of this without having to resort to invasive procedures.
Hair reduction treatment times are similar to waxing, but have no post treatment clean up. Once your hair course is complete, you may never need to return. Just think about the amount of time and money this can save you.
IPL Advanced therapies take no more than 30 minutes and you will only need on average 3-4 treatments.
Sun damage repair
Sun damage from UV exposure is a major factor in skin ageing and unfortunately our desire to have tanned skin has only resulted in us ageing faster. Even everyday facial movements like frowning can result in fine lines appearing, deepening into wrinkles over time.
Our new Advanced IPL therapies aim to address these issues. Stimulating the skin’s natural processes and reversing the effects of ageing, giving you a youthful appearance free of the tell-tale signs of advancing years.
No needles, just a slight tingling sensation best describes the feeling experienced during a SkinBase IPL treatment. This is minimised by a specially developed cryo-handset that is placed on the skin before the treatment, the SkinBase IPL is infinitely more comfortable than most conventional methods like waxing, laser and electrolysis and many other IPL or laser systems.
Zero Recovery Time
Unlike many treatments, the SkinBase IPL is non-invasive as well as highly effective. You can return to work immediately following treatments so no need to take any additional time out to complete your course.
- Consultation/Patch Test - We will determine your individual needs and devise a treatment plan to achieve the results that you require. Treatments plans can vary from 6-10 treatments for hair reduction 4-6 weeks apart, to 3-4 treatments 2-3 weeks apart for IPL Advanced Treatments. This will need to be done 2-10 days in advance of the treatment commencing, depending on your skin type. If a course of IPL is booked, the cost of the patch test will be taken off the price of the treatment.
- Shave / Cleanse treatment area - For hair reduction treatments, hair should be shaved 24-48 hours prior to treatment. This allows a 1-2 mm stubble, ideal for an effective treatment. The treatment area should be cleaned and dried before treatment commences. Dry, shaven and clean skin means that the light can penetrate the skin unobstructed.
- IPL, Treat and Target - Once the area is prepped, we can begin the treatment. The unique “Cryo” cooling handset is first applied to the treatment area. This anaesthetises the area before the light treatment, making it more or less painless. We will then move over the treatment area in a grid method using the cryo and flash handsets in tandem.
- Moisturise & soothe with Aloe & SPF - A cooling cream or gel such as aloe vera should be applied post treatment to help cool the treated area. Sun damage can cause pigmentation and premature ageing of the skin.
After a SkinBase™ IPL treatment it is essential to protect the skin from excessive sun exposure by applying a moisturiser with an SPF. This is especially true in the summer months and for clients that are having SkinBase™ IPL to treat pigmentation. Failure to apply regular sun cream could cause the pigmentation to return.
0% Finance Available! Treatments from only £30.00
Secure Online Payments & Flexible Finance Options Available
With our secure online payment system, you can easily make payments for our services from the comfort of your own home or office.